5:39 PM

Not overly hyped about it...

Posted by CivilWar Fangirl

The Oscars are tonight. Neither of us are really hyped up about it.

I find my interest in the Oscars has waned over the past few years. I think it's mainly because I see so few of the movies that are nominated. It used to be I saw more of them but in the past few years, it has become less and less. Whether its due to limited release, having a crappy theatre that NEVER gets good movies (Paul Blart: Mall Cop has been here for three f&^%ing weeks!) OR just no interest in seeing the movie (this has been the case a lot of the time), I'm lucky if I've seen one or two of the movies nominated.

This year, I've seen one of the movies they nominated for Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire. It was good but did not blow me away, did not really inspire me and is not one I need to see again. That pretty much sums it up. Do I have any desire to see the rest of the Best Pictures nominees? Other than The Reader and Frost/Nixon, not really. I don't like Sean Penn OR Brad Pitt so I won't be running out to see their movies anytime soon. I know, I must sound cynical!

One of the best movies I saw last year, Valkyrie, was not even considered! It was the first movie I've seen in a long time that I've actually wanted to go back to the theatre and see again. It was AWESOME! And the other awesome movie, The Dark Knight, is up for a few awards but not Best Picture; I feel like it got overlooked in that category but what do I know? ;)

We'll probably end up watching some of the Oscars. Both of us want to see who Best Supporting Actor goes to. I really hope it's Heath Ledger. He deserves it. His portrayal of the Joker was phenomenal and really carried that entire movie.

So, what will you be doing on Oscar night?

Maybe I'd feel more like watching it if Hugh Jackman hosted as Wolverine and got the claws out everytime someone went overtime with their speech (as said by trixie360 on Twitter). ;)

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Slumdog Millionaire was a cliche filled piece of junk. Even a first year film student could do better.

I am watching MST3K instead on Justin.tv, but I have the oscars on the TV.

Ugh...that twilight film star that made his name on Harry Potter is on the screen now...don't get me started on Twilight. It is an utter piece of crap and I haven't even read it or seen it. I just know it.

CivilWar Fangirl said...

I agree; it was a very "cliche" film. As I said, it was good...but did not inspire me and I was not blown away by it.

I read "Twilight" out of curiousity. While I enjoyed the vampire characters, the female character (Bella, I think her name was), annoyed me to no end and I have no desire to read the rest of the series. I have zero interest in seeing the movie.

I need to watch MST3K again soon. It's been awhile since I've watched it...

Thanks for leaving the comment!

Maggi said...

I'm watching the awards now and I've been actually pleasantly surprised (I've become VERY cynical about award shows) but this one has been funny and pretty good...and then came the musical number...*sigh* Why, God why? High School Musical what nots, morons from the movie that's trying to kill its Broadway origin and Beyonce...*shudder* Bleech...

MST3K rules!

CivilWar Fangirl said...

Hugh is a half-way decent host! This is the first awards show I've watched in quite awhile (well, since the Oscars last year ;) ).

Oh, I know! The musical thing was ANNOYING (I hate musicals!)!!! You have summed it up perfectly! *LOL*

Awesome!! Another MST3K fan :)

Thanks for the comment (and for reading!!), Maggi :)