3:03 PM

Something new...

Posted by CivilWar Fangirl

I am always looking for ways to bake as healthy as possible without sacrificing the taste. So far so good...no complaints from Jeremy or anyone else who has tried my baking. I sometimes use a banana instead of egg, splenda instead of sugar, etc.

I was discussing baking with the curator at the museum here in Goderich on Friday. Her husband is very health conscious and she was telling me in many recipes, he substitutes applesauce for oil. I thought, why not give that a try? So I did today. I'm making apple-cranberry bran muffins for a potluck at work tomorrow (in Stratford). The recipe called for a 1/4 cup of oil. I added 1 tablespoon of oil and a single serving container of applesauce. I haven't tried the muffins yet but the batter was perfect and didn't seem any different from when I normally use oil.

While I won't substitute all the time (depends on the recipe), it's good to know at least in some recipes I can use applesauce instead of oil.

The big thing will be the taste test! I'll let you know what Jeremy thinks of them later...they do smell delicious though (they're baking as a I type this!).

2 comments:

ICandee said...

They sound great!

CivilWar Fangirl said...

They turned out extremely yummy! I'm glad I did a bit of experimentation with the recipe.