10:57 PM

Giving it another chance...

Posted by CivilWar Fangirl

I've been a wine drinker for years. I started out with just white wine, absolutely hating red. I would not touch the stuff. One night that all changed. It was the Thursday night before Good Friday in 2007. We were invited over to Ray & Lara's place. Before going out there, I realized I did not have any white wine to take with me. My mother, however, had a bottle of red. She told me I could take it with me. I cringed at the thought but decided "what the hell?". I became a red wine convert that night.

Soon after, I lost my taste for white wine. I swore it off. No more! I was sticking with red...

That changed in Florida. Marty & Karen (Jeremy's uncle & aunt) are wine drinkers, mainly white wine. While there, Karen offered me a taste of a white wine from the Marlborough region of New Zealand. Using my whole "what the hell?" philosophy, I gave it a try. I did not expect to like it....HOWEVER...I did. It was a white wine called Monkey Bay; a Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough of New Zealand. I LOVED IT!

I decided I would give white wine another chance.

Let's just say I enjoy white wine again. I'm very picky though: it has to be very dry (I always look for a "0" sugar code at the LCBO), preferably a Sauvignon Blanc or a Chardonnay, and usually, not from Canada.

When I swore off white wine, I realize now I pretty judgmental. The only white wine I'd ever had was from Ontario; I never had tried the amazing white wines of New Zealand and Australia. Some people might jump all over me for knocking Canadian wines BUT there are few Canadian wines I enjoy. While I do enjoy a few Ontario red wines (Colio and Cave Spring are my favourite wineries from Canada) for white wines, my heart really lies with those from New Zealand's Marlborough region, like Monkey Bay and Stoneleigh. I also enjoy Australian white wines, like Jacob's Creek.

What do I love about the New Zealand white wines? It is their slight citrus flavour; it is delicious!

While red wine is still my favourite of the two, I've decided to give white wine another chance...so long as it's from the land down under ;). Seriously though, if you know of a good white wine (as I said above, preferably one that is dry), let me know about it (even if it isn't from Australia or New Zealand)! While we're at it, if you know of any good red wines, let me know as well! I can't promise I'll be able to find it at the LCBO in Goderich (that is a whole other issue!) but I'll definitely add it to my list of wines to try.

0 comments: